Saturday, May 30, 2009

Bah-bye Boston

At long last, the first day of our trip has arrived!

Unfortunately, due to my need to try and get just one more thing accomplished, we left a little, ok a lot later than I planned.

I am so excited and nervous, which is an emotion I wasn’t expecting. Other than this weekend, there are a lot of unknowns and places to be discovered. For me, part of this trip is to see the places I have yet to visit. My goal is to see all of the states and do at least one local thing in each. For me that means driving through doesn’t cut it, nor does going to a chain restaurant or store I can go to at home, I need to get out and experience something, anything. That leaves a lot of things to discover.

In trying to live the experience and not run from one location to another, I have 2 weeks to get as far west as I can and then 2 weeks to get home, what happens in between depends on the roads we take, literally.

During our ride, Ma commented every time we crossed a state line, I was told, she needed towns not highways. Even before we left, she was counting and guessing how many state lines we would cross. So for those wanting to play along, we started in MA, went through CT and NY and have landed on the Jersey shore.

If you have any suggestions of places we should go, things we should see or do, please post a comment or send us an email.

10 comments:

  1. Yahoo Kim! You did it! Hope you and Ma have a phenomenal trip and get to see and do things that make your dreams come true! Love you lots!Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! Glad you're on your way. All my suggestions would be sports-related, of course! Hall of Fames, etc. There's always the MLB Hall of Fame in Cooperstown, NY but that's likely out of the way. http://web.baseballhalloffame.org/index.jsp

    Perhaps the Negro Leagues museum would work instead? I've heard it's great and it's in Kansas City. http://www.nlbm.com/

    Good luck!

    Candice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where was the worlds largest ball of twine in the Chevy Chase vacation movie?

    Actually, IMHO things to see in Southwest. Bryce Canyon, Utah. Monument Valley (Ariz/Utah). Both pretty amazing. Lake Powell/Rainbow Bridge are nice, but it will kill a day.....

    Be well. Your "IT Guy".

    ReplyDelete
  4. GO KIM

    Have a fabulous time; I'm so excited you're posting as you go; looking forward to hearing.

    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been thinking about you all weekend! Good luck Kim!!!! Be well and drive safely! -- Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on your departure! No earth-shaking advice...other than take a lot of pictures, hands at 10 and 2, drive defensively...

    Have a great time and I look forward to hearing more about your trip?

    BTW, do you have any stopped planned? You know, like a specific hotel out west?

    Chip

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you are having a great time in the fast lane. I bought my tickets to come and meet you, and emailed them to your hotmail address (and posted it on FB). See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing adventure! I can't wait to hear all about it! I usually do that same route when I go to PA... Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Kim,
    You're adventures are inspiring! Glad you and your Grandma (and soon Cory) are having fun!! If you see a sign "Canada This Way" turn around fast...it's cold up there! :)
    Cheers,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so amazed by you and ps the pictures are awesome! I feel so blessed that you made Joe's wedding way back on th 29th! I bet it seems like ages ago to you guys! Pls give Ma a hug for me!

    ReplyDelete