Thursday, June 18, 2009

Elk, bison and geyers, oh my!

We have had a great couple of days.

Our trip to Idaho landed in Arco, the first town to be atomically powered. I didn't know that heading in, but was quickly educated by the signs and educational sections of the dinner menu. This is something that us, New Englanders, don't see very often, but something I am noticing more and more with every town we visit.

Located in Arco, or between Arco and the next town, is Craters of the Moon National Park. We made it there just in time for a thunderous downpour (this is becoming a pattern with us). The cool thing was the lava was covered in white and we couldn't figure out what it was, but were told at the visitor's center (I am learning) that there are little white flowers growing in the lava. We thought that they were EVERYWHERE. How wrong we were. Once the rain stopped, I stepped out of the car to take some pictures and realized that it was hail. While we were gettiing rain on our way in, I guess the hail storm was over the park and left the landscape dotted with tiny pebbles of hail.

Then onto ERB-1 which is the first nuclear power plant in the US. They also worked on a nuclear engine for a plane under Eisenhower and after 10 years and a billion dollars, JFK cancelled the program based on the advice of the scientists. Looking at the size of this, I can't imagine the size they thought the plane would be.
This is the sunset from our ride back further east.


We drove through Idaho and into Wyoming and stayed at the Signal Mountain Lodge in Jackson's Hole. This was the view from our room. I have to say that Jackson Hole is worth the trip. I know it is known for it's skiing, but there is whitewater rafting, river tours, camping, hiking, and shopping. The views are spectacular (I know I am using this word a lot, but I am at a loss for words). Ma described it as right out of the movies.


Today after wandering around Teton National Park, we headed to Yellowstone. I have to admit, I thought we would head in, see Old Faithful erupt and high-tail it out of there. Man was I wrong. One of our first stops was along the side of the road - they still have SNOW on the ground. Man, were we not ready for this weather. It wasn't snowing, but the snow was a couple inches deep in some areas. I guess it helps being over a mile and a half up above sea level.


We then headed towards West Thumb Geyer Basin. This was about an hour walk, which we took with a Ranger, and heard all about the ways the geyers were formed, places that they used to be, the fact that there is a volcano under the lake that is slanting the lake. There were kids asking all types of questions, it is amazing how their minds work. Like how can fish swim in the lake and not get cooked by the boiling water--valid question. How did they build all of the walkways when you can't walk on the ground - didn't hear her answer to this one, but score one for you kid.


We then headed to Old Faithful - which if you don't know (I didn't) erupts every 90 minutes of so. Should have checked with the visitor's center (it takes 27 times to make a habit and I haven't gotten past 2, this is going to be a long trip back), cause it was COLD and WINDY. After our photo, Ma headed into the lodge to watch from the comfort of the indoors and I headed back out with the several hundred others to witness the event first hand. It was set to erupt at 6:41 and like clockwork it went off. The eruption lasts from 1.5 minutes to 5 minutes and it was about 3.5 for us. At about 2.5 minutes the mass evacuation began. I guess some people can only watch so much water. I know the video isn't the best - I was trying to get pictures and video at the same time and got a little distracted.

We then thought we were going to head out to dinner.....but it was dusk and all of the little animals were out for their dinner, which meant more sight seeing for us. We rode a bunch of different scenic off shoots and found amazing treasures. We saw deer, elk, bison - who were meandering down the road. It is amazing that the cars don't scare them. They couldn't have cared less.

We then went to dinner outside of the park and headed to a hotel for the night. As I write, I am monoplolizing the 2nd and 3rd floor laundry machines. I don't think that anyone here will mind, everyone heads to bed at nine. We are staying the night here as I found an amazing piece of art, but the store was closed, so we are heading back there in the morning. I probably should figure out what we are going to do tomorrow......hmmmmm.

1 comment:

  1. I love the nature pictures Kim!!! Keep 'em coming. See any wild sheep?

    ReplyDelete