Friday, June 26, 2009

Living the high life

That is what Ma keeps saying after we check into another hotel. Tonight, despite best intentions, we are checking in late (pesky time zone change) and getting ready for another adventure filled day.

Somewhere in our travels I seem to have lost a day, I mean not really, but I didn't think it was going to take as long as it did to get here. Don't get me wrong, I am loving the travels and the process, but sometimes you can go 75, and other times you are lucky if you can get beyond 40 with the construction.

Yesterday we got to the Mall of America (Cory and Alison, we followed your path I think). Ma was so excited and we hit about 15 stores. We both walked away with new goodies. I can't remember the last time I went into a mall just to look around, but if you are going to do that, this is the place to do it in! From the roller coasters screaming by overhead to the number of stores, you can get lost for several hours, maybe even days. I even met a girl who graduated high school with my former co-worker Kaitlin - even 1/2 a continent away, you can bump into someone. We stopped at the Rainforest Cafe for some lunch (had never been there before) and then did a little hat shopping, just incase Ma goes to Churchill Downs on a whim.




We then drove into Eau Claire and settled in for the night. If we had more time, I would have taken Ma to the country fest they were having 10 minutes down the road, my mother's favorite (at least I think) George Straight is playing on Sunday night at 11. Go figure the towns close up tight at 9 (restaurants, stores, etc) but a concert comes to town and they put the headliners on at 11. WEIRD!

Today we drove through Wisconsin, Illinois and started into Indiana (we are stopped at South Bend for the night). In Wisconsin, we tried to visit a cheese factory (i know that isn't the right word, but that is all I have right now). We were told soon after entering that they aren't making cheese today, only on Wednesdays and Saturdays (why don't they put that in the brochures-I read about 5 before deciding on this one), but she gave us the tour anyways. Which consisted of walking to the other end of the shop and turning on a light. She was very sweet and gave us a taste test of some cheeses and then we were on our way.



Next, we went for a duck boat ride through the Dells, which are rock formations, there was a piano and a hawk and something else I couldn't see. We also splashed down into Lake Delton, we were at the back of the duck so we got the splash, and headed off into Illinois.



There we stopped for dinner at a the Village something or other. They had live entertainment (Rich Ramsburg), at least that is what they claimed on the sign outside. Some of the songs he sang, sounded like a bad case of karaoke gone bad - wrong lyrics, bad tempo, but it was entertaining. They did have some appetizer that the table behind us got which has the waitress light the plate on fire, wait for it to put itself out and then serves it to the table. I was scared out of my seat - so I guess I was their evening's entertainment, although I didn't get the polite applause.


I can't believe we will be home in a couple of days. In case this is you last reading of the blog (our next post won't be until over the weekend), I want to thank you for reading and commenting. I also want to thank those who encouraged me, gave advice, and supported me on this trip. It has truly been a once in a lifetime experience that I will never forgot with crazy, warm and wonderful memories that I will cherish forever!


Cheers and I will talk to you soon!

2 comments:

  1. You girls are certainly living the dream. Ma looks like royalty in her hats so cute. I bet you really needed to make some more purchases AH HA!!! Will see you in a few days. You must be tired of driving by now. See you in a few days. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ma looks like Queen Elizabeth....

    ReplyDelete