Saturday, June 13, 2009

Tales from the backseat driver

Tonight's post is from the back seat driver (aka: guest blogger, sister, Cory)

Hello everyone, just wanted to give you the run down of my trip thus far...

As you heard, my trip to catch up with Kim & Ma started off slowly--due to weather in Boston, I missed my connection to Colorado and stayed the night in Atlanta. Although, while waiting in line for the hotel shuttle, I caught myself talking with another man from my same flight; only to find out he works for a medial device company in Massachusetts. We ended up having dinner together--you just never know where business contacts will be!
Happily, my flight left with just a slight delay the next morning, and I met up with Kim & Ma at the airport.











Once we squished me and my bag into the car, we headed off to the Olympic Training Center, taking a slight detour to Veteran's Park.
It was really neat to see the bond between Kim & Ma. Of course, being family, I knew how close they were, but to see their travel system "in action" I was just overcome with joy. I caught myself running around the park taking pictures of their bond, rather than the monuments at first, as I felt that this was the neatest part of the journey and exactly what I was here to witness! What I loved most, was as Kim wheeled Ma through the the park, she stopped at each monument, describing what they looked like and reading all of the text on each one--just so Ma could "see" what her eyes wouldn't allow. The patience Kim has is just amazing, and the gratitude that my grandmother has for her, is overflowing.
.
.

The weather in Colorado was slightly cooler than I was expecting, so once we arrived at the Olympic Training Center, Ma and I bought "warmer weather wear." (Ma got a pink sweatshirt and I, a navy windbreaker that will be in almost every photo for the next few days.)

Having competitively figure skated as a kid, and gone to Lake Placid many, many times, it was neat to see another Olympic Training Center. This one was much larger, covered all sports, and included a large Hall of Fame wall, past Olympic memorabilia, and live camera feeds to some of the training rooms.
.
.
That night, we landed at Seven Falls. The great part of our trip here, was that we actually got to see it both during the natural daylight, and illuminated in the evening. To see the entire 7 falls, from a birds eye view, you entered into a small tunnel, and rode an 'in mountain' elevator up 100-something feet in the air.
.
.
During the hour or so that we waited for the lights to change, we had an opportunity to see some tribal members do a collection of Indian dances, and I even volunteered to go up onto the stage to do a dance with them (along with a handful of kiddos and their parents)...you're never too young to participate!







And, for my jam lovin' husband, I found you something new to try...
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
The next day, we woke up slightly early, due to the fact that my phone was still set on east coast time. Happily, the extra hours offered us the opportunity to ride a glass roof train car up the mountain side. Aside from breathtaking views, the train ride included a 3-course lunch that was simply delicious! This was certainly a treat that I am sooo glad we did.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
After the train ride, we took a quick detour to the Holy Cross Abby. The Abby was beautiful, however, I have to admit, my eye (or, I guess my taste buds) was after the award winning wines.

...............
After the Abby, we went on a 1-way, scenic drive, that I had very little room between the car and the end of the road way.
Knowing how afraid of heights Kim is, I was surprised that she ventured up the mountain. (I guess she truly is out to "see it all".)
Today, we spent the bulk of the day driving to Mesa Verde. This is one of the most spectacular sightings, and one that I found on the Internet, while riding in the back seat/reading the map. It is labeled as one of the top National Geographic sights to see, and listed in the book Top 100 things to see before you die--which I guess is in the trunk of Kim's car... but if you saw how full it was with stuff, she probably won't be looking at it until her journey concludes. :-)
Today's journey was spectacular, and one that words nor pictures could describe. The amazing part was to think that this was built in 900 AD, and the Mesa's climbed the mountain "toe and nail"

..............................
Over the course of the past few days, I have learned that they both have wonderful stories to share, each with their different favorite memories. Kim has hundreds of photographs and thousands of miles on her car (and many more to go). However, what I find truly precious about this whole thing, is that even with all that can be shared, not one of these memories compares to the experience of living it first hand.
I feel honored to be able to share just a few short days with them, and although I am sad to leave to head home tomorrow, I am really excited for the journey they have left.
Keep reading and commenting, they love checking in and seeing who's been on, and what you've been saying.
Until again,
--xoxo--

5 comments:

  1. I have enjoyed the blog and really feel as if I'm right there with you !

    ReplyDelete
  2. p.s. This Kim is afraid of heights also .
    Congrats Kim on overcoming your fear, you are so brave !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cory, your entry adds a whole new dimension to this blog and makes me appreciate being able to share in it even more!
    Nance

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely narrated Cory! So glad you are having fun. It was neat to see the picture of Kim driving. Made me feel like I was in the back seat with you. Is it time to turn around now, Kim, or are you still heading west?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Were those cliff dwellings in New Mexico? I've been to some before, too. AMAZING to see, huh?

    ReplyDelete