Thursday, June 4, 2009

Say hi to strangers

Today is the perfect example of why you should be nice to strangers.

This morning, when I went to Diamond Caves, I met the Turner family, who were traveling to Kentucky from Mississippi. While we were walking down the first set of the 348 steps, Mrs. Turner's camera battery stopped working. I offered to share my pictures with them and they gave me the advice of going from Nashville to Toupolo, MS and then onto Memphis as we would be able to see both states and save in travel time.

The cave was cool, but hard to take pictures in as it was pretty dark down there.


We were then off to Nashville, which was only about an hour away. Once we landed at our hotel, I spent 30 minutes reading the local what's happening that was provided by our hotel and there was nothing that caught my eye, so we were just going to head downtown to see what was happening.

As I headed to the car to get my bag out, I bumped into Emmitt Grayson. Who is he? He is a singer/songwriter who was heading into our hotel for a live songwriter night. He also shared with me that the hotel that we were staying housed the famous Hall of Fame Lounge, where Merle Haggard and Willie Nelson used to hang out and share songs.

In groups of 3, each songwriter sang a total of 3 songs. We were there until midnight! We met some great artists and I am sure that we will hear some of the names in the future. I didn't catch them all, but we also heard: Kent Howard, Peter Moon, Chris Casserly, Trish Caverly (I think that was her name), Seth Harper and Brooks West. A great night of live music, sung by those who wrote it.

10 comments:

  1. Oh Nashville... its the perfect town for you. Loads of live music, unnamed bandss, and happy chatty people. Glad that you had a good time, and that you are safely 'chatting with strangers'. The caves look like a beautiful stop.

    Happy weekend. Can you believe its been 1-week from the start of your journey!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oooh, I'm thinking a day of Elvis is in your future today. (totally jealous). Ma must be estatic. Can't wait to hear all about Graceland and those blue suede shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kim and Ma,

    What great fun to meet you both last night. You just happened to check into a hotel with a lounge which has a lot of music history and I was pleased that you came in to share in that.

    Have a wonderful journey and God bless,
    Emmett Grayson
    emmettgrayson@live.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didn't your parents teach you about strangers??? Nashville I'm jealous wish I was there. Wow how did Ma make the stairs. You are truly having a trip of a lifetime...Love you

    ReplyDelete
  5. Emmett is a pal of mine -- a talented, Presidential-looking sort of Nashville cat -- and I wanted to tell you how tickled he was to meet you. I had an email next morning about the fun everybody's evening turned out to be.

    Like the man said, Have a wonderful journey and God bless,

    Herb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Woohoo Kimmy and Ma! By now you have probably met Elvis! Kayleigh, Emily and I have been checking your blog daily and love it! Can't wait to be reading what happens next in your journey! Thanks for sharing these most precious memories!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kim! I am having such a great time reading your posts. Sounds like a great time! Did you see that Emmett posted on this entry? How cool is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello Lisa,
    I am planning to follow the blog as Kim and Ma travel. I think the whole thing is just great and I do envy them this opportunity. Our chance meeting in the hotel parking lot was one of life's "accidental blessings" for me.
    Emmett Grayson

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Kim -

    Talk about an adventure!! A lifetime of "one day one time" stories to tell! Sounds like you've met some amazing people and that they've realized what we already know - just how incredible you are! And of course Ma is fabulous as well. Keep that wheelchair in the fastlane and keep smiling. Love you lots, Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, what an adventure! How fun. Looking forward to seeing where you go next!

    ReplyDelete